I headed into 2010 nervous but excited. It was a year of huge leaps academically and personally. I moved away to a rural town to study my 4th year of Medicine, which thrilled me having wanted to gain independence since highschool, but also brought along challenges as I struggled to cope with the task of 4th year and looking after myself. 2010 you’ve been a hard but rewarding year which will play a significant role for the years to come :) Here’s my summary of you:
Things I’ve learnt in 2010:
- Stop making excuses and take responsibility for your goals!
- Jealousy is the green-eyed monster which will only grow and will not get you any closer to where you want to be. Acknowledge people’s success, don’t be envious.
- Love yourself — no matter what the circumstances you are always gold. The only person which has the power to make things better is you, not your parents or friends or lover — they can add to it, but it is your perception that matters.
- Eating poorly (ie. irregularly) causes tiredness and horrible headaches
Things I did in 2010 that I’d never done before (get ready for a huge list)!
- Road trip along the eastcoast to the Blue Mountains – hiked to the bottom of a valley and stood on a waterfall
- Lived away from home for a year — loved it!
- Winery tour around East Gippsland
- Hold a “Girls’ Night In” to raise money for Breast Cancer research- cocktails, chocolate covered strawberries + Glee is all you need!
- Delivered three babies — it was a requirement to pass my Obstetrics rotation ^^;;
- Assisted with gynaecological surgeries, actually assist, not just stand there like last year
- Went to the Bairnsdale races! (First time I’ve been to a horseracing event)
- Sutured 2 kiddies’ penis — don’t ask =__=;;
- Excised skin lesions
- Consulted patients in my own room at a GP clinic
- Tell a woman she’s pregnant
- Help a mother deal with the loss of a baby — it was one of the most frightening and sad things I’ve dealt with in Medical school
- Have a “Roman Murder Mystery” themed birthday party- it was so much fun, I was the wife of the murdered man
- Make a gingerbread house – next mission is to make a HUGE one! xD
- Enjoyed high tea on a charming farm property
- Discovered the combination maple syrup + crispy bacon = scrumptious!
- Wear a sari :D
- Go on a Winery Cruise in Lakes Entrance
- Dine at (some of my favourites) MoVida Aqui, Izakaya Den, Number 8, French Crepery Cafe, Basque
- Found that British comedy is really good – credit to my housemate for introducing me to this :)
- Drink Parisienne absinthe
- Attend a fashion show in a rundown shed
I didn’t fulfil any of my resolutions this year so I’ve decided on a different tact. 2011 will be about “looking after myself” better and all my goals will be around that mantra.
I am feeling a tad fidgety entering 2011 as it will be a “year of transitions” as I will make my way through the final year of Med school. It will be the official last chapter of being “the student”, “the no responsibility position” before being swept up into the real world of paychecks, overtime and no beloved long uni holidays. I know it is going to be a momentous and meaningful year and will try my hardest to put into action all I’ve learnt about myself in previous years into it.
Thank-you 2010 for the new friendships and experiences; hello 2011- can’t wait to get to know you better!