2009 was a year of firsts including my 21st :) It was tough academically as this was my first clinical year where I was thrown in the deep end and learnt what it was like to be a “real” doctor. Mentally I am much more stable than last year, however my physical health has suffered a bit this year; remnants of not taking care of myself the previous year with the added stress of this year lead to constant illness and fatigue, which then affected my mood.. but that will change next year! :) Overall, it was an amazing year! I met so many new people, tried new things, I went to Italy! … definitely a year I will cherish.
Things I Learnt in 09:
- “I can do this!” – I can be a good doctor. I always had doubts whether this was the place I should be. Since it was my parents’ preference not mine to do Med. I may dislike the competitiveness; the constant feeling of inadequency and the social retardedness of some Med students, however when I met patients, talked to them I just wanted to make them feel better.
- Organisation is your best friend – especially when it comes to exams I couldn’t help but say “Leanne you’re a genius!” when I found all my notes neatly in a folder.. but that was 1st Semester.. 2nd semester was not so organised & I was cursing myself for end of year exams :P
- I become really down during the Winter months to the point where it’s harmful
- I think I’m starting to tread the line of “angry & bitter”… I have to be careful.
- I push people away when I feel “betrayed” – when they fall off the pedestal I’ve created for being a “friend”. Maybe I should lower my expectations or communicate more? But how do I tell a friend I don’t like them talking to my ex? :(
- I am a traveller. I dream of living in an apartment with large windows over-looking narrow European streets. I like scouring restaurants & cafes. Getting my hands dirty. Perusing galleries until they close. Speaking romantic languages… I need to work for this “reality.”
Things I did in 09 that I had never done before:
- Travel overseas without my family
- Travel to Europe; Italy. The whole trip was a first and it was fkn amazing with new adeventures every step of the way! :D
- The whole hospital experience. Everyday was a new experience. I saw a patient, I examined, I inserted cannulas, I biopsied, I scrubbed in for surgery, I witnessed strength, love, anger, sadness, relief, dying, and death.
- Go to a Local Artist Market
- Go to an art show of a modern artist – Audrey Kawasaki
- Go to an art show featuring one artist at the NGV – Salvador Dali
- Get drunk, vomit & pass out -__-;; (on my 21st)
- Get an undercut :P
- Dress up as Lady Gaga
- Make a domokun cake with my friends
- Go to a Jazz bar
- Attend a concert – Jason Mraz!
- Eat emu, poutine, vodka infused cupcake; dine at Lindt Cafe; drink at Golden Monkey; sketch & eat at Madame Brussel’s Bar
New Year’s Resolutions:
- Exercise, meditate & eat more vegetables
- Always do the best I can
- Be kind, charming and perfectly flawed :)
- Learn how to make Red Velvet cupcakes & pipe them!
- Read ‘Perfect Girls & Starving Daughters’ by Courtney Martin
- Budget & save up for something amazing for the end of the year :D
I’m heading off on a road trip and will be back on the 4th January 2010, so til then, lovelies…
Happy New Year ! ♥